Sunday, May 5, 2024

Beaten: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy)


 Platformers have never been my strong suit, even when they reigned supreme during the 16-bit era.  While I tried and played many, there were few I finished. This was especially true on the Game Boy, where the hardware limitations could cause a blurring effect when the screen scrolls in some games.

Thus, my Game Boy collection has quite a few unfinished platformers, and I’ve been giving some of them another shot since getting the Analogue Pocket, as the clear screen, the save state option, and the end of any blurring issues with these types of games makes them shine in a new light.

Enter Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan, a five-stage game featuring the famous reptilian heroes scrolling right to defeat an army of ninjas and other foes from the cartoon and comic. After failing to beat the very difficult NES TMNT game I must’ve been hoping the Game Boy game would be easier. 

I have no idea how far I got back then, but sliding the cartridge into the Analog Pocket, I dove in without much hope of getting anywhere new, but I was having fun so I pressed on. Soon, I was beating the first stage without using the save state feature, which gave me enough confidence to start a new playthrough and use the save state, just to see how far I could get.

Now, save states have not been a guarantee of success for me by any means - I still got stuck at very difficult parts of Castlevania on the NES mini and Splatterhouse on the Turbografx 16 mini - but they do remove the frustration of completely starting over upon death.

Thus, with TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan, I locked into a pattern of slowly moving right until the next enemies spawned and attacked, killing them without taking damage, waiting until things settled down, and saving. 

With no time limit this made most of the game pretty easy, but there were boss fights at the end of every level to contend with as well. These were not particularly hard either, and saving right before them made it easier. Some I beat on the first try.

There were three small bonus mini-games I found during my travels which added variety to the experience, and those were mostly fun. I kept waiting for a spike in difficulty that never came.

Played as intended, this would be a fairly tough game, simply because there is no natural save option on the cartridge and each attempt would mean starting over. Oddly enough, the player can pick any level to play right at the start, but to get the ending one must play and beat them sequentially, I suspect.

I had fun beating this turtle sized platformer after owning it for 34 years. However, there is no way I’m trying that NES TMNT game again, thanks to the now legendary water level’ difficulty. 

A lot of these old platformers are difficult simply due to the need to start over every time. I’m too old now to hit those walls, but with the advent of save states, I can save a good playthrough in progress and take on new challenges as I encounter them.


No comments: