Thursday, August 29, 2024

Beaten: Farcry 6 (Series)

I'm currently sort of stuck on a few games and while taking a break from them, I decided to try Farcry 6 since it was there on XBox Game Pass for free. After several recent open world games bogging me down for months, I was thinking I would avoid them for awhile in favor of more focused, linear games.

What I wanted for the break was a game that I could play and make regular progress, feel some sense of accomplishment, and mostly have fun. So I took on Farcry 6 with the caveat that I would not necessarily care about beating it and just enjoy each little piece of it. If I got bored and abandoned it, that would be fine.

I hadn't read any reviews and only knew that that one actor who is showing up in almost every science fiction show was playing the bad guy. I know Farcry, and Ubisoft, its publisher, so I had expectations. I was surprised as I started playing that the game, while presenting a huge map, seemed smaller than recent Farcry and Assassin's Creed games I've played. It seemed even smaller when I found a helicopter and did some aerial reconnaissance, but also smaller in terms of side missions and optional collection quests.

Dare I say, Farcry 6 was optimized in some way to make a more approachable experience for those of us who don't want to dedicate 3-6 months of our playtime? Or was my own perception of it all altered by my attitude in approaching the game, by only going after bite-size pieces of content without the goal of beating the game present in my head.

I started, of course, with the tutorial island, and told myself if I wanted to keep going after that, I could. Once completed, there are three factions across the map to recruit for the overall revolution. I had enough fun in the tutorial to head to the first faction I choose.

There was nothing different here. The player is a part of a revolution against an evil dictator, who being backed by an evil foriegn corporate dude, is enslaving his own population to grow some weird cancer-fighting tobacco or something. The main story missions explain this situation really well, and the side missions are no longer cookie-cutter repeats but rather more focused "stories" usually relating to one of the NPCs encountered.

I've always loved the capture-bases-to-liberate-the-country model since Just Cause, and Farcry 6 delivers that. And since I had fun with that, and the characters, side missions, vehicles, I found myself picking at little pieces of the cake until six weeks later I had beaten the game and liberated the country.

I had fun and did not feel overwhelmed and stressed or rushed to get to the ending. Oh there are some complaints that come to mind, but nothing stands out as game-breaking. It is 2024, so if I am carrying a rocket launcher and you're suddenly throwing me into a cutscene and it shows me holding a pistol, congratulations Ubisoft, you're several steps back from where games I've recently played from 2008 were.

So was Farcry 6 an optimized improvement on their open world design, or am I optimized to not get overwhelmed at giant open world games? I guess I'll find out the next time I take one on.





No comments: