Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Beaten : Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney : Trials and Tribulations

Last night I had the bittersweet honor to finish Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney : Trials and Tribulations, the third and final Phoenix Wright game in the Ace Attorney series. The game had five episodes in it - the first and fourth ones both flashback episodes where I got to play as Mia, Phoenix's mentor. The second and third ones were standard Phoenix Wright fare, involving zany characters and convoluted plots.

The final episode, which I finished last night, was an epic ending, bringing all the characters and plotlines from all three games together for one whopping huge dramatic conclusion. There were many moments during the last day of court that I literally shouted out in amazement, so drawn in was I by the story unfolding on my little Nintendo DS.

As I have written in the past, story and characters are the strength of the Ace Attorney series, and this game - especially that last episode - has been one of the best interactive storytelling experiences I've ever had in gaming. Now, it's on to the next game, Apollo Justice : Ace Attorney, where I have little doubt that a whole new slew of captivating characters and wacky stories await me.

No comments: