Thursday, May 10, 2007

This Is Why I Hate PC Gaming

So, I got to play Tron 2.0 for two days. It was actually really cool and fun. However, last night's session ended when, during the cinema scenes between two levels, the game locked up. Tonight, I progressed further into the game, and it happened again.

Tron 2.0 is a few years old, so when I went to its purported website, I got redirected to Disney's main site. After some digging, I found a patch for Tron 2.0 and downloaded it. When I tried to start the game again, it told me that I needed DirectX 9.0a and TnL. Like I know what the fuck that is. DirectX I've heard of, and I am pretty sure that I have it up to date. TnL, however, I've got no clue about.

After a few tries, I gave up, uninstalled Tron 2.0, and re-installed it without the patch, hoping to get to try again, resolving to put up with the game locking up every time I entered a cinema. No luck there either, as the game now crashes on startup every time.

I un-installed it and put it away. I should just throw it away. It seems PC games have a very narrow shelf-life, that being about six months after release. After that, only computer-saavy MIT graduates can get these damned games to run. Screw it all, then.

No comments: