Sunday, May 25, 2008

Some Kids Got No Time For Games

The title of this post refers to a great Midnight Oil song, as well as my current gaming situation.

I'm currently working two jobs, a full-time one and a part-time one, I'm getting married in about 35 days, and I've been called to jury duty for June and July. Life is tearing me further and further away from my hobby, as happens to us all. When it rains, it pours.

On top of that, there's nothing new I really want to play (except for Boom Blox for the Wii, but money is too tight to get that one now). On the Wii front, Nintendo has released all their big guns - Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit - and none of them are really that enticing to me.

Brawl was fun for a few weeks, Mario Kart was a major disappointment, with too much emphasis on insanely-overpowered power-ups and not enough on actual racing, and Wii Fit - well, I can't see spending ninety bucks on it. In addition, Bully was so good (see my previous blog entries) that I want another game with that kind of depth. I've actually been kicking around the idea of picking up the Grand Theft Auto trilogy (GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas) for the Playstation 2, which is only thirty bucks.

What I really want is an XBox 360, so I can play the huge plethora of great games already available for it. If I don't get one as a wedding present (I sincerely doubt I will), I've vowed to get one after the honeymoon, which in reality, of course, depends on our financial situation at the time.

With nothing at all interesting on the horizon for the Wii - in fact, it looks like the world's top selling console will continue to be treated as undesireable by game developers forever - the only option I have to find great games with some serious depth lies with the 360 or the PS3. Can I have it all in this world? Can I marry the girl of my dreams and still keep up with the latest in gaming? Stay tuned.

No comments: