Sunday, May 11, 2008

Yes, I'm A Videogamer ; No, I'm Not Playing Grand Theft Auto IV

I play videogames. I am not playing Grand Theft Auto IV.

Those statements seem to be a confusing contradiction to many people I encounter, for some reason. As if, in its unquestionable glory, GTA IV is the sole reason gaming was invented. Sure, we all play different types of games, but when something so epic is released, we must all join together, converging on Liberty City to get handjobs from hookers and listen to the silly fake talk news radio.

No thanks. I play what I want, when I want. Also, when I can afford it. I don't have an XBox 360 or a PS3 yet, although I actually could afford one, mostly because all my economic efforts are going toward my upcoming wedding. And, the subject matter doesn't really interest me.

Now, I love these type of sandbox games, don't get me wrong. Check my recent posts about another Rockstar game, Bully, and you'll see me gushing about it. No, the truth of the matter is that I've never really been a follower of the herd - and the numbers show that the herd has really taken to GTA IV.

When I had a choice about a 16-bit system in December of 1990, I choose the Turbografx 16 over the Sega Genesis, and never regretted it. There were more of the types of games on that system, at the time, that I wanted to play. I didn't even get a PS2 until 2006, and spent the next year catching up on several great games for it.

And so it goes with GTA IV. Down the road, I may want to play it. However, the three PS2 GTAs have all be available as a $30 bundle for some time, and I still haven't checked them out, so it may be unlikely that I'll ever play any of them, ever.

Of course, I still have to hear about the goddamned game every single day from an annoying co-worker who babbles on incessantly about it like I give a shit. Such is life.

No comments: