Monday, January 22, 2007

I Adore My 64

There's that old question people ask for some reason "If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have three albums to listen to, which ones would they be?". People who know me and know that I have been a videogamer most of my life ask the very similar question "If you could only have one videogame system, which one would it be?" It always blows them away when I immediately answer "My Commodore 64".

From 1985 well into the early 1990s it was my game machine of choice. I recently was able to make space in my home "office room" for another desk at which, sitting behind me right now, is my Commodore 64 and two shelves full of games.



That game library represents all I'll ever need in gaming : an endless array of dungeon crawlers, a plethora of fantastic arcade games, a cornucopia of strategy challenges, and an eclectic mix of bizarre titles that defy categorization.

Last year when I decided to stop collecting games and eBay the vast majority of my retrogame collection, I drew the line at my Commodore 64 library. And now that there is space in my apartment for the C64, I've rediscovered the joys of that era. In addition, I've decided that it's time I began adding to it, and this week I won an auction on eBay for the game Realm of Impossibility, an action dungeon crawler that I am enjoying immensely.

Searching on eBay brought back a lot of memories of that era. There were a lot of games I wanted to buy back then, but didn't. Now, as time and availability permits, I can pick up where I left off. I really should get around to finishing some of those dungeon crawlers, though.

No comments: